Monday 23 May 2011

What's in a Name?


Awesomeness is what, and I’ll tell you why. In the deaf community, people are given sign names as a way to identify a person: fingerspelling names can be clumsy and a little slow. Especially considering some of the names in Fiji. The names usually describe an aspect of a person. For instance, the senior interpreter Gael’s sign name is a G followed by a sign that denotes the fact that she has a streak of white running through her hair. Jill, our project officer, has a much more unfortunate name: a variation on the sign for ‘sick’, because she was often sick as a kid. As you can tell, it can be hit or miss, and the name sticks.

George and I had been told we’d be observed for a week or so, our mannerisms monitored in order to have a sign name selected for us. I think we were both a little concerned about being watched, so we generally tried extra hard to make a good impression. Because seriously, who wants a sign name that means grumpy face? Actually, the Fijian deaf community won’t give someone a sign name with negative connotations, which is a pretty good policy to have (I don’t know how Jill got hers then, but I haven’t had the courage to ask why her sign name sucks).

It was towards the end of my second week here that I noticed I was being referred to as the guy with glasses. I rarely wear glasses, and I’m betting that unless you’ve seen me in front of a computer or reading a book, you probably didn’t know I even wore them. I may be a little socially awkward, and I may love reading, but I don’t often bring a book to a restaurant or a pub. It was with disdain then, that I realised my potential sign name was largely meaningless – and a little nerdy – outside the workplace. Not wanting to tread on any foreign toes just yet, I nodded and smiled and laughed, thinking all the while, why can’t I be known as happy face?
 
As it turns out, my sign name is even better. George was away one arvo ‘working’ from home, and Gael and I were having a bit of a conversation about what my hobbies were. Well aware of where this was potentially going, and eager to steer as far away from being known forevermore as ‘Foureyes’ as possible, I eagerly admitted that I enjoyed playing the guitar. I didn’t mention that I wasn't any good at it. And thus my sign name was born: the sign for guitar combined with the American one-handed letter S. For those playing at home, my name is basically playing an air guitar, except strumming with a closed fist (AKA the American one-handed letter S).

The next day George was awarded his sign name during a buffet lunch at the Holiday Inn. I pushed for it to be the sign for eating prodigious amounts of food, but Jill denied that – too mean. Instead he is now known as ‘G Rugby’. We’re both pretty happy.

Yes, I am aware of the irony: it’s probable more people know I wear glasses than play guitar. And Iof course use the word ‘play’ loosely. But what does that matter? I have a cool name now. One that will make you think of me (fondly, I hope) when playing Guitar Hero.

No comments:

Post a Comment